Translate

2/03/2014

Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker - Teaser

 
 
This book has captivated me as I have just begun to read it. Thus far, I enjoy the writing style with its fantastic descriptions and setting. Of course, the history brings the story to life. I hope you enjoy the quotes below.
 
http://shouldbereading.wordpress.com/

"From the solitude of her rooms on on Twelfth Street, Elizabeth heard only the low booming of cannon fire that marked the moment Abraham Lincoln became the sixteenth president of he United States."

On Election Day, Elizabeth Keckly hurried home from a mid-afternoon dress fitting to the red-brick boardinghouse on Twelfth Street where she rented two small rooms in the back. Although she never failed to carry her license attesting to her status as a freed-woman whenever she ventured out, on that day of presidential election of 1860 she was eager to be safely indoors safely before curfew.
(I'm choosing to end the quote before the end of the opening paragraph, which continues as some length.)

::: Have you read this book? If not, would you continue reading? :::

9 comments:

Debbie said...

I've heard of this book before--it sounds like a good read from the opening. Keep reading!

Unknown said...

Sounds great

http://carabosseslibrary.blogspot.com/2014/02/teaser-tuesdays.html

Sandra Nachlinger said...

I've read and enjoyed Jennifer Chiaverini's Elm Creek Quilters series, so I'm sure I'd like this book too. Sounds like a good one.
My Teaser is from CAPE MAYBE.

Unknown said...

I haven't read this, but read positive reviews. I hope you enjoy it!

Literary Feline said...

I've been wanting to read this one for awhile now. I'd keep reading.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Sounds really good - I'd read more. So happy you joined in today.

JoAnn said...

Have seen some positive reviews from other bloggers, so I'd keep reading. Hope you like it.

Boyett-Brinkley said...

This book is on my TBR list but after reading your teaser I might have to bump it up to the top!

Nise' said...

I would keep reading!